Remote IMAP Mirror - Suggestions?

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Thu Apr 29 07:09:55 EDT 2004

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Darren Joy wrote:
>
>>Well, after an immense struggle, I have persuaded Cyrus to actually work.
>>I've never experienced such huge problems with any open source software,
>>this is by far the worst, by orders of magnitude. My main problem I think
>>was expected the test programs to work, i.e. imtest and pop3test etc.
>>They're horribly broken, and reported that Cyrus wasn't working, when in
>>actual fact....it was. Extremely annoying, and a lot of time wasted on
>

> Even if you're not going to fix these yourself, "horribly broken"
> doesn't help much.  Care to elaborate?

Responding rather late in the day, and not directly related to the OP's
complaints (imtest always worked OK for me), but I am aware of one
gotcha that catches new users out sometimes. I haven't tested this with
2.2, so the same may not be the case anymore...

When you try and administer cyrus with cyradm, if you run cyradm *as
root*, it prompts for the password. If you give the correct password,
you then get a segfault:-

# cyradm localhost
Password:
Segmentation fault

Doing the identical thing as the cyrus user works perfectly, of course.
However, it would probably be nice to produce a helpful error message,
rather than segfaulting. I've had a couple of confused colleagues who've
 been caught out by that, and for an inexperienced user who's installing
Cyrus for the first time, they tend to leap to the conclusion that
they've done something wrong with the install, and then waste a lot of
time searching for a non-existant problem.

On a personal note, the first time I installed Cyrus, it took a while to
get my head round everything, and took time to get the system up and
running the way I wanted it. However, Cyrus is without a doubt one of
the best bits of software I use day to day. Once set up, it just works,
and the developers deserve a lot of credit for the work that's gone into
the system.

HTH,

Mike.