Upgrade/reconstruct failures [REPOST]

Rob Tanner rtanner+cyrus at linfield.edu
Tue Apr 6 14:48:48 EDT 2004

Ken,

The imapd.log doesn't show anything at all, and I had already tried
strace'ing and saw nothing that gave me any clue.  One thing I did notice was
that using cyradm, I could not change the acl either on a mailbox that
reconstruct failed on.  I got an I/O error:

setaclmailbox: anyone: lrsip: System I/O error

That looks to me to be a complaint about mailboxes.db, but I can invoke
ctl_mboxlist -d any get a dump of the database without a problem.  So while I
see the problem extends beyond just the reconstruct, I am still baffled.

-- Rob

--On Thursday, April 01, 2004 02:29:21 PM -0500 Ken Murchison
<ken at oceana.com> wrote:

> Rob Tanner wrote:
>
>> Ken,
>>
>> Since I'm moving from ESYS to Cyrus, the index/cache files should be
>> irrelevant as they use an entirely different naming convention and I
>> fully expect to loose the flags in question.  But I tried your
>> suggestion anyway without success.  And the problem is not consistent,
>> only affecting maybe one third to one half of the mailbox folders.
>>
>> Also, I can create a new directory under a user and add an empty
>> cyrus.header file, and reconstruct -fxr will find the emty file and add
>> it and not declare it to have any invalid format.  I can empty out the
>> directory claimed to have an invalid format and add an empty
>> cyrus.header, and it still fails. Finally, at the unix level, and not
>> with cyradm, I can rename the directory of a mailbox, say foo to foo2,
>> create an empty foo so I don't get an I/O error, touch
>> foo2/cyrus.header, run reconstruct -fx, and the box gets added to the
>> mailboxes database without an error.  Just creating the empty
>> cyrus.header file in the old mailbox doesn't fix the problem.
>>
>> I am convinced the problem is with the mailboxes database, but when I
>> dump it to stdout, the entries for mailboxes that reconstruct okay and
>> those that get an invalid format error look to be identical.
>
> Actually every place that IMAP_MAILBOX_BADFORMAT is returned is in
> mailbox.c, so I don't think it is a mailboxes database problem.
>

>> Is there any way to debug what construct is doing and why it's making
>> the decision it's making without having to be an expert on the code?
>
> Are you getting any useful info in imapd.log?  You could try strace'ing
> reconstruct or running it through a debugger.
>
> --
> Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
> Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
> 716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
> --PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

Rob Tanner
Linfield College
McMinnville, Oregon