Error: mailbox is reserved

Scott Adkins adkinss at ohio.edu
Thu Apr 1 11:51:18 EST 2004

What causes this error?

We have a case with a particular user (twice in the last week or so now)
was trying to create a subfolder and could not, getting the error "mailbox
is reserved".  The folder indeed did not exist, and the user just couldn't
get it created.

What I have found in the archives was just one thread.  The user was trying
to do the reverse, delete and already existing folder.  Rob responded that
the database needed to be recovered by running 'ctl_cyrusdb -r' on it.

So, my question is, what causes existing folders to get reserved (so they
can't get removed) and what causes a non-existing folder to get reserved
(so they can't get created).  The latter boggles my mind, as it means that
a non-existant folder somehow gets into the database... Is it possible that
the user tries to create the folder, it fails, gets reserved, and then all
future attempts at creating the folder gets the above error?

Thanks,
Scott
      Scott W. Adkins                http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/
   UNIX Systems Engineer                  mailto:adkinss at ohio.edu
        ICQ 7626282                 Work (740)593-9478 Fax (740)593-1944
     PGP Public Key available at http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/pgp/