Murder question

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Fri Apr 2 14:01:26 EST 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 02:06:17PM -0500, Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Etienne Goyer wrote:
>
> > In a Murder, if I understand correctly, it is the frontend who initiate
> > the connection with the mupdate master.  I suppose when the mupdate
> > master is shutted down and restarted, this connection is lost.  How/when
> > does the frontend reconnect to the mupdate master to receive update?
> > Does the frontend try reconnecting to the mupdate master at fixed
> > interval, or on a specific event ?  Is this configurable ?
>
> It is a random interval, the base value of which is specified by
> mupdate_retry_delay.  The reason it is random is so that when all the
> frontends lose connections at the same time, they don't all crush the
> mupdate master with requests when they come back.

Ok.  We have only two frontend so I don't think we can crush the mupdate
master when it come back up :D

If I understand correctly, some strangeness may happen between the time
the connection is lost and reestablished, like user creating folders but
not seeing them right away.  Considering that, would'nt it be a good
idea to have that value very low (like 1) to minimize the loss of
service ?

Thanks !

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
---