BIG PROBLEM: Need help with production box

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Apr 2 09:34:01 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 21:53, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> This is not guaranteed to fix your problem, but it just might. If your
> machine is SMP on Linux, it is almost guaranteed that DB 4.1 will give you
> severe headaches.

If I remember correctly, the bdb that ships with Red Hat 9 and Fedora
Core 1 is _known_ to be FUBAR for some apps due to threading problems.
Something to do with using native POSIX threading support in glibc and
the kernel, I think.

I've certainly never had much luck with it, and prefer to link against a
bdb4.2 build in /usr/local for site-local apps installs. Of course, then
you can run into all _sorts_ of fun if a PAM or nss module you use
happens to be linked to a different version of bdb... *shudders*. My
favourite wasn't bdb, but (if I remember correctly) actually a
sasl1/sasl2 linking issue with the LDAP client libs and saslauthd.

I'm beginning to find *BSD with the package-free approach more and more
tempting. I expect it wouldn't solve most of the problems, and no doubt
introduces new and different ones, but the grass is always greener....

Craig Ringer

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus