Intermittent failures with duplicate suppression?

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Mon Apr 5 17:15:36 EDT 2004

Sorry if this has been discussed before.  I searched the archives and didn't
find anything...

(Running Cyrus IMAPd 2.1.15 compiled with --with-duplicate-db=skiplist)

Twice in the past couple of weeks I've noticed a duplicate message get past
cyrus's duplicate suppression mechanism.  I have a mail alias on my server
that points to my main account, and occasionally after a "Reply-To-All" I'll
end up sending a message to my main account AND my alias address, and twice
I've noticed both copies of the message appear in my inbox.

I've attempted to reproduce this problem, but have been unsuccessful.  I
traced these messages in the logs and verified that they do have identical
Message-ID's.  There are no "dupelim: eliminated duplicate message" entries
in my imapd.log for these messages that have slipped through, nor any
messages that indicate that cyrus had a problem accessing deliver.db.

Any ideas where I can start looking?  Is this type of behavior normal?  Have
I shot myself in the foot by using skiplist for deliver.db (been using it
for months without issue)?  Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722