Users making folders off of root?

William M. Shubert wms at igoweb.org
Sat Apr 10 02:23:03 EDT 2004

Hi. I have a problem, searched bugzilla for it, and didn't see it, so
I'll try here...

my users keep making folders off of root! So for example, I'll log in
with cyradm, and see the folder "Drafts", (not "INBOX.Drafts", which is
my folder of course, not "user.bob.Drafts", but just plain "Drafts"). I
also keep seeing "Sent Items" appearing.

It seems that for some reason cyrus has decide that everybody has
create-folder access to the root folder, and that combined with some
mis-configured IMAP clients is making this a mess. I can't find a way to
change the root folder's ACL - doing "sam ." or anything such in cyradm
just gives me errors.

Is this a bug? Or have I misconfigured something? Has anybody else seen
this? (I'm surprised that I didn't see it in bugzilla to be honest).

PS - This may be a FAQ, but again didn't find it - how do I refer to
folders with spaces from cyradm? "lam users.bob.Sent Items" gives me
errors beacuse it thinks the folder name ends at "Sent". Quoting doesn't
help. Grrr. I have to use "*" all the time to get around this, but
that's an ugly solution and when there are subfolders it gives me more
than I want.
        Bill Shubert (wms at igoweb.org)