Users making folders off of root?

William M. Shubert wms at igoweb.org
Sat Apr 10 11:51:21 EDT 2004

I'm 99% sure this isn't the problem. There is only one user with admin
access - me - and the folders created aren't even used by my mailer.
Mine (evolution) uses "INBOX.Sent" to store outbound messages, and one
of the "mystery folders" was "Sent Items" - I'd never seen the version
with "Items" in my life before this, so I'd be very surprised if I was
the one who made this mailbox.

Looking over the logs, the only user ever to open the "Sent Items"
folder was somebody who uses Mozilla as their mail reader. Not sure if
this is significant or not. The ACLs on the folders gave no hint as to
who created them, everybody had view access but nobody had any special
rights to them.

I just took away my admin access and created a user explicitly for
administering cyrus, as you recommended. I'll check (and post here
again!) if the folders return.

        Bill Shubert (wms at igoweb.org)