Hostname Lookup Delay and Timeout

Jeremy Fisher jeremyfisher at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 14:47:58 EDT 2004

Greetings, all. I have a brand-new Cyrus IMAP setup
and am still learning -- so forgive me if the answer
to this question is incredibly obvious. Sometimes it's
the simplest things which are hardest to see...

I have a client who is connecting to IMAP and/or POP
services and is waiting 10-15 minutes to successfully
check his mail. I think it may have something to do
with the fact that his ISP is not providing him with a
hostname, and for some reason IMAP (or my FreeBSD box
in general?) is attempting to lookup his hostname. And
because the hostname isn't available, the process
takes forever. A good guess? (Incidentally, this same
type of behavior applies when he is sending mail
through Sendmail.)

So, what do I need to change in order to stop this
obnoxious delay?

Many thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Jeremy M. Fisher