Hostname Lookup Delay and Timeout

Jim Levie jim at entrophy-free.net
Tue Apr 13 14:35:59 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 10:22, Jeremy Fisher wrote:

> It's a good thought, and I've tried that from the
> shell. Took a few seconds to figure out that there was
> no hostname available for the IP address -- not ten
> minutes! So I'm not sure if Sendmail and Cyrus are
> calling a separate process that is more persistent in
> its attempts to get the hostname, or if they are just
> that stubborn on their own (in which case, there must
> be a feature to disable this somewhere).
>
> As a temporary fix, I took the offending IP address
> and added it to the /etc/hosts file (performance is
> now lightning fast, of course). The more I look at
> this, the more it appears that it is a general DNS
> problem of some sort.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember what OS you are running, but if it uses
nsswitch.conf or similar for host resolution could there be a resource
other than files/DNS specified that is causing the problem?

Other than that the only thing that occurs to me is some sort of problem
with the resolver libs Cyrus is liked against. The host command might
not be using the same libs.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat
   Jim Levie                                 email:jim at entrophy-free.net