Getting error "Mailbox has an invalid format"

Rob Tanner rtanner+cyrus at linfield.edu
Tue Apr 13 12:41:18 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade from an old ESYS (commercial version of cyrus) to
cyrus-imap 2.2.3.  I build the mailboxes db from the ESYS flat mailboxes file
according to the directions:

STEP 1:   ctl_mboxlist -u < mailboxes
STEP 2:   ctl_cyrusdb -c

In ther mailboxes themselves, I added an empty cyrus.header file and eleted
the old ESYS fdb.* files.  When I do a reconstruct -r user.<mailbox> for
anyone user, somewhere between a quarter to a half of the mailboxes fail to
reconstruct with the error "Mailbox has an invalid format".  On the LINUX
side, permissions and even the extended attributes are the same.  Everything
is owned by cyrus:mail, and there's no obvious difference in the mailbox db
data.  I've alos rebuilt everything and the results are the same.

What exactly are the things that the software checks to decide that the
mailbox has an invalid format?  I've exhausted my ideas.

Thanks,
Rob

--
Rob Tanner