Getting error "Mailbox has an invalid format"

Rob Tanner rtanner+cyrus at linfield.edu
Thu Apr 15 11:30:21 EDT 2004

Rob,

Kinda "yes" and kinda "no".  Since the transition is from an old ESYS
commercial version, there are no cyrus.* files anyway -- they changed them to
fdb.* and I have no idea whether the file has a similar format or not.  So
the problem occur when no cyrus.* files.  I also added an empty cyrus.header
file without success.  But when I straight over copied a cyrus.header file
from a folder that would reconstruct properly, then the problem went away.

I should be able to bang out a quick perl program to creat cyrus.header files
for every folder.  I went through a number of folders that have a valid
format and looked at the cyrus.header files to get an idea of what I need to
do, and I have a question about the layout.  The file begins with 3 bytes of
binary data that appear to be a constant followed by several lines of ASCII
text that appears also to be constant.  The next line, however, appears to be
a string of 16 hex digits (printed in ASCII) and that is not constant.  How
do I derive the value, or does it matter what I put in there?  The next line
is blank, and the next line appears to be the ACLs from the mailboxes db.

Am I missing anything in that description, and what's the scoop on the
variable 16 digit hex string?

Thanks,
Rob

--On Wednesday, April 14, 2004 12:17:31 PM -0400 Rob Siemborski
<rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Rob Tanner wrote:
>
>> What exactly are the things that the software checks to decide that the
>> mailbox has an invalid format?  I've exhausted my ideas.
>
> You should be able to move the cyrus.* files out of the way and run
> reconstruct on the mailbox.  Those are the only things that affect
> "mailbox format"
>
> Of course, this threatens you to lose flags.
>
> -Rob

> Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
> Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper

Rob Tanner
Linfield College
McMinnville, Oregon