"reconstruct -r" usage

John Conant jconant at aerodyne.com
Fri Apr 16 10:20:36 EDT 2004

Hi,

         Sort of a side note - we started having trouble like that.  Turned
out that our overnight antivirus scan of the mail store would find a virus,
and quarantine (move!) the infected file, thus messing up the Cyrus
indexing.  Now we schedule a system-wide reconstruct after the virus scan,
which seems to work.

         Back to the main topic, our cron entry (Red Hat Linux) is:

   su - cyrus -c "/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/reconstruct -r user > /dev/null"

and the "-r" does seem to work for us!

                                                 John

At 04:05 AM 4/16/2004, you wrote:

>after running for 12 months with zero problems, we now experience random
>mailbox
>corruption (not neccessarily the main mailbox of each user, but
>submailboxes or
>main)....and if a user selects one of these mailboxes that isn't quite right,
>the cpu goes to 100%. We've had the server lock up, and I'm suspecting that
>this might be part of the cause. (or perhaps it's a symptom? who knows) At
>least we never lose any messages.
>

>Quoting Jules Agee <julesa at pcf.com>:
>
> > reconstruct -r -f
> >
> > Eli Cantu wrote:
> >
> > >Hello all,
> > >
> > >If I am trying to reconstruct user.chris.Sent and user.chris.Save,
> should I
> > be
> > >able to simply run:  "reconstruct -r user.chris"?
> > >
> > >If so, it does not seem to work. I have to manually reconstruct every
> single
> > >subdirectory.
> > >
> > >If I misunderstood the "-r" option, what is it used for?

                               Regards,

                                    John Conant

  jconant at aerodyne.com        "An expert is a [person] who has made all
  John Conant                 the mistakes which can be made in a very
  Aerodyne Research, Inc.     narrow field" - Niels Bohr (attrib.)
  Billerica, MA 01821
  (978)663-9500, ext. 292     FAX (978)663-4918