Client hang after some idle time

+archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu +archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu
Mon Apr 19 12:40:40 EDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, ADNET Ghislain wrote:

>   My problem is that the client (i tried mozilla, netscape, thunderbird,
> outlook2003, evolution...) that is working perfectly at login but it
> hang on every imap access after some time. The mail client is just
> standing there and after some time for evolution drop a 'error
> refreshing folder: succes' (yes success as an error!), other mail client
> just hangup there with no message at all.

[...]

> on the server side i have some "idle for too long, closing connection"
> messages.

You might try increasing the 'timeout' value in imapd.conf. This is
what I'm currently using, and so far seems to be doing OK:

timeout: 90

Also, do you have idle support compiled/enabled?  Once I compiled it
in and added the following to cyrus.conf, along with the timeout
value above, it seems some of the issues we were seeing with the
Microsoft clients went away.

START {
  # do not delete this entry!
  recover     cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"

  # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE
  idled      cmd="idled"
}

Though, I've noticed that if you tell Mozilla Thunderbird to check
for new mail in some folders AND enable IDLE support (latest snapshots),
it gets a bit loopy and message counts get totally out of whack. In that
case I think it's best to turn off IDLE support in that client.

--
Amos