[news:comp.mail.imap.cyrus] Is it needed ?

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Tue Apr 27 11:39:47 EDT 2004

Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:
>

>>>What is your opinion about starting formal procedure to create
>>
>>Personally I don't think we need to split the traffic between the
>>mailing list and a newsgroup.
>
> I agree.  Newsgroups are also much more heavily harvested for spam
> addresses.

It can be fixed by "masquerading" sender addresses in messages forwarded
from the list to the (would be) group e.g.
From: Rob Siemborski <me at privacy.net>

BTW the list archive gives an example how to protect email addresses.

> As for gatewaying, I wouldn't want to gateway messages from the newsgroup
> to the mailing list, again for spam reasons.

Spamassassin can be be used to stop most spam and forward dubious cases
to moderator but a few messages will pass the checks anyway.

> I guess I just don't see the advantage.

Mailing list and newsgroup serve best different "target groups".

Newsgroup are easier to use for "less determined participants", mailing
list can discourage many of them (vide discussion about
advantages/disadvantages of Challenge/Response mailbox protection systems).

IMHO the newsgroup would be better for making more people "give cyrus a
chance".

P.S.
* Where is the will there is a way
* I have no US Army to enforce my plans :-)  [it is up to you to decide
even during the formal procedure to create the group (voting via email)]

Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.homeunix.net/ http://slashdot.org/~anfi