IMAP authentication failing

jokke heikkila jokke at kuva.fi
Sun Apr 25 15:44:23 EDT 2004

I've set up Postfix-Cyrus-Mysql-WebCy-rAdmin combo and after a bit of fidling
got it working except imap login. Web-cyradmin works as it should and I'm able
to create accounts and mail send to those accounts gets delivered. The problem
arises when MUA tries to login to server and password is rejected.

#saslauthd[29192]: do_auth         : auth failure: [user=mango0005]
[service=imap] [realm=] [mech=sasldb] [reason=Unknown]
#cyrus/imapd[30157]: badlogin: [xx.xxx.xx.170] plaintext mango0005 SASL(-13):
authentication failure: checkpass failed

But if I use saslpasswd2 to give the account a password (after I have created
the account with web-cyradm) and try again to login, all is working. So it looks
like the password created with web-cyradm to mysql db is not consulted. If this
is the case, I'm bit confused of in which conf file this should be defined and
with what syntax.

imap conf:
configdirectory: /var/lib/cyrus
defaultpartition: default
partition-default: /var/spool/cyrus/mail
partition-news: /var/spool/cyrus/news
newsspool: /var/spool/news
altnamespace: no
admins: cyrus
allowanonymouslogin: no
popminpoll: 1
autocreatequota: 0
umask: 077
sieveusehomedir: false
sievedir: /var/spool/sieve
hashimapspool: true
allowplaintext: yes
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_auto_transition: no
tls_ca_path: /etc/ssl/certs
tls_session_timeout: 1440
tls_cipher_list: TLSv1:SSLv3:SSLv2:!NULL:!EXPORT:!DES:!LOW:@STRENGTH
lmtpsocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp
idlesocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/idle
notifysocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/notify

pam.d imap conf:
auth sufficient pam_mysql.so user=cyrus passwd=mypassword host=localhost db=mail
table=accountuser usercolumn=username passwdcolumn=password crypt=1
logtable=pamlog logmsgcolumn=message
logusercolumn=user loghostcolumn=host logtimecolumn=time

account required pam_mysql.so user=cyrus passwd=mypassword host=localhost
db=mail table=accountuser usercolumn=username passwdcolumn=password crypt=1
logtable=pamlog logmsgcolumn=message
 logusercolumn=user loghostcolumn=host logtimecolumn=time

Jokke H.