Client hanging up : problem found

Ghislain ADNET gadnet at verio.fr
Tue Apr 27 08:22:54 EDT 2004

Hi,

  I have solved the problem i had with the client hanging trouble on our
new cyrus imapd server.

  The problem is not cyrus related but i share here so other can benefit
from my story.

Symptom:

  Client hang after some time, the connexion time out and the server
close the connection because of "too much idle time".
  All fiddling with timeout and idle settings on the server do not
change a thing.

Solution:

  Our server as in front of it a firewall that was in "allow All" to the
imap and from the imap server. BUT some firewalls even if you tell them
to not touch anything concerning the traffic still shutdown any
connections after some amount of time. In our case you have to click in
the advance tab where we found a "timeout"  and change the timeout from
5 to 31 minutes.

   This solved every problem we had. So what we learned in that is :
Don't assume anything, telling all is open do not mean on all firewalls
that he must not touch the traffic for this case and you have to review
ALL the settings it offer :-)

  I hope this can help some people :)

Best regards,
Ghislain.