Delivery According to ACLs' "post" Privilege

Mohamed Magdi Abbas abbasmm at longwood.edu
Thu Apr 29 10:52:59 EDT 2004

ms419 at freezone.co.uk wrote:
> In one area I have had trouble using Cyrus IMAPd: Delivery.
>
> After considerable effort - and help from others - I believe I've
> arrived at the fundamental problem: I wish for users to be able to
> filter mail using arbitrary user level programs, but I don't wish for
> users to be able to deliver mail to any and every mailbox.
>
> For users to be able to filter mail using arbitrary user level programs
> - run with the users' privileges - delivery must be possible with the
> users' privileges. As I understand it, however, allowing a user to
> deliver - either using filesystem permissions or as an LMTP admin -
> means allowing a user to deliver to any mailbox.
>
> I also understand, however, that it is possible to authenticate to the
> Cyrus LMTPd through TCP/IP using SASL, but that "... Only LMTP admins
> can deliver to LMTPd through TCP/IP sockets." Can someone explain why it
> is not possible for users, once authenticated, to deliver to only those
> mailboxes whose ACLs grant them "post" privileges?

That can be done. If you are using sendmail then you need to compile it
from scratch with the following:

	You have to add -D_FFR_AUTH_PASSING=1 to your site.config.m4( might be
called something else if you a .src.rpm):

	APPENDDEF(`confENVDEF', `-DSASL=2 -DNEWDB -DLDAPMAP -DSTARTTLS
	-DMAP_REGEX -DMILTER -D_FFR_AUTH_PASSING=1')

Then make sure you configure sendmail.mc to enable SMTP AUTH, and make
sure LMTPD is running via TCP/IP.

That should accomplish what you want...

Mohamed Magdi Abbas
abbasmm at longwood.edu