squatter indexes

twk twk at ncsu.edu
Tue Sep 2 09:30:17 EDT 2003

David Carter wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Andrew Morgan wrote:
>

> That's what I do (squatter -s overnight).
>
> It does take quite a long time to complete, and it eats CPU even on my
> fast but typically rather bored Pentium 4 Xeons.

We could never get the squatter runs to complete in 24 hours on our Sun
Enterprise 250's, even if we ran them around the clock.

>>Part of my reasoning for this was just to get rid of the annoying:
>
>SQUAT failed to open index file
>messages in the syslogs.  :)

When I discovered that these SQUAT files were taking up 5% of our 100G
SAN drives. We decided that the potential benefits (shortened search
times) were not worth the resources consumed to provide these benefits.

It was most certainly not worth doing just to eliminate an annoying
error message from the logs.

YMMV.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom Karches                    email : twk at ncsu.edu
Web Systems Administrator      phone : 919.515.5508
NCSU Information Technology