Cyrus Server Migration

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Thu Sep 4 13:12:37 EDT 2003

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003, Andrew Brink wrote:
> 1.  ext2 or ext3, we are also considering a cluster solution using a
> shared File system (GFS) Any experiences with these?

You're using Linux, then.  Definately go with xfs or reiserfs.  xfs is
probably better for large sites, it is extremely fast and reliable
especially if you tell it that yes, it can hog a lot of memory.  Even in its
standard settings, it is much faster than ext3.

You really, really should apply the linux stabilization patches in Cyrus.
Solaris doesn't appear to need them, but if you experienced hangs, you are a
top candidate to apply the patches.

The debian packaged version has them all. I believe most high-quality RPMs
of Cyrus do as well (I am sure the Cyrus RPM maintainer(s) will reply to you
as well).  If you want to apply them by hand, be my guest. They are
scattered in CMU Bugzilla...

> 2.  db3 or db4?  The previous server we have has some of the famous
> locker problems and other db4 problems (we believe).  Rob, maybe you can
> bless the "official" db version to use. I am fine using db4, provided
> that people are successfully using it in production.

Well, in my experience, db4 gives you nothing over (a very well patched and
stabilized) db3.2.  So, I will continue to ship cyrus linked against
Debian's db3.2 for a while more.  So far, I have had exactly zero problems
with db 3.2.9 in Debian...

  Henrique Holschuh