Sql based Spamassassin with sieve

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Sep 12 07:41:48 EDT 2003

Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 05:53, Ted Cabeen wrote:
>
>>Ramprasad A Padmanabhan <ramprasad at netcore.co.in> writes:
>>

>>>I am using a gateway spamassassin with Mailscanner. The problem is every
>>>user would like his own individual preferences stored.
>>>
>>>So I was looking if there was a way I could use sieve to fork
>>>spamassassin per user with the user name and the prefernces stored in
>>>Mysql database.
>>>
>>>I found that some people have done this, But there doesnt seem to be
>>>much documentation
>>
>>We do it with amavisd-new before the mail reaches cyrus.  It uses a
>>slightly different schema for the preferences than SA, but it works
>>well.  Using amavisd-new for this also means that multi-recipient
>>messages are only run through SA once, regardless of the number of
>>recipients.
>
> Precisely.
> But thats what I do not want. There are some people in my office who
> themselves will decide what is spam and what is not
> Now How Can I run a spamassassasin with individual settings
> If there are 5 rcpts the SA must sperate instances run for all 5 of them
> Must be someway in sieve But I am not able to get one working

You can't do this with Sieve.  Having SA run N-recipient times for each
message seems really expensive.  The best you can do with Sieve, which
might be sufficient, is have SA run once per message and add a
X-Spam-Score header (or whatever its called), and then have each user
filter based on the score (probably using the relational extension).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127