Authentication failed. generic failure

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Sep 9 22:36:49 EDT 2003

Mike Allen wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> When I run 'imtest' on my system, I get the following failure:
> -->: snip <--
> S: A01 NO user not found
> Authentication failed. generic failure
> Security strength factor: 256
>
> . logout<< manually typed-in because it stalled here.
>
> * BYE LOGOUT received
> . OK Completed
> Connection closed.
>
> saslpasswd appears to have the correct user/passwd combo.  I don't
> know what to do next.  My system is FreeBSD 5.1 with cyrus-imapd2 port
> installed(cyrus-imapd version 2.1.15).  My configuration file is attached.

Since you don't show which auth mechanism was used (plaintext or shared
secret), its hard to help you.  If its plaintext, make sure that
saslauthd is running (since that is what you have configured for
sasl_pwcheck_method) and configured correctly.  If its shared secret,
make sure that /usr/local/etc/sasldb2 exists, the 'cyrus' uid can read
it an the sasldblistusers2 shows an entry for the user you are trying to
log in as.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127