OT, question on IMAP

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Sep 11 12:43:14 EDT 2003

Etienne Goyer wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Sorry for this OT message.  I have a question about IMAP-the-protocol,
> and I guessed tis is where I had the better chance of a good answer.

Read RFC 3501.

> It's very simple actually.  From a program I am writing, I want to know
> how many messages in a mailbox are read or not.  I guess I must must
> somehow query for the \Seen flag.  While I am at it, why not make it
> generic and query how many messages in a mailbox have a particuliar flag
> set.
>
> So my question is : what would an IMAP client send to determine how many
> message in a particuliar mailbox have a particuliar flag setted ?  Is it
> possible to reverse this and ask how many messages *don't* have a
> particuliar flag setted ?

Cyrus will tell you how many messages exist in a mailbox and how many
are unseen when you SELECT/EXAMINE it.  Otherwise you would have to use
SEARCH SEEN, SEARCH UNSEEN, SEARCH FLAGGED, etc and count the results.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127