Order of SASL2 methods announced? (Cyrus IMAPD2)

Nikola Milutinovic Nikola.Milutinovic at ev.co.yu
Mon Sep 15 02:50:28 EDT 2003

> So I would have to disable all but NTLM to be sure AUTH=NTLM is the first
> or only "AUTH" visible. No I won't do this for Microsoft users only because
> of their broken clients.

Maybe there is a way... Basically the ordering of the clients is the ordering of how the *.la files are picked up from the plugins directory, if I'm not mistaken. Now, this is highly system dependant. On our Tru64 UNIX the ordering is alphabetic - always. On Linux I think it is FIFO. So, you could fiddle around with this. If the ordering is alphabetic, the rearrange file names (I'm not sure if this will break anything - be careful). Otherwise try moving back and forth the plugins in /usr/lib/sasl2.

> Users noticed the behaviour because sending mail with SPA/NTLM did work
> (our mail relays use sasl2 with postfix and there "AUTH NTLM"/"AUTH=NTLM"
> is surprisingly the first auth announced):
>
> 250-AUTH NTLM PLAIN LOGIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
> 250-AUTH=NTLM PLAIN LOGIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5

I don't have this second line on Sendmail 8.12.9 - am I missing something?

> And Outlook ALWAYS tries to use "DIGEST-MD5" saying it can't do so. What a
> perfectly dumb and broken client.

Is it for sure that O and OE cannot use DIGEST-MD5? Why do they try at all? Is DIGEST-MD5 actually working on your IMAP? Try "imtest".

> I set up a fake imapd (using echo and read) to see how Outlook behaves when
> parsing "AUTH". When putting "AUTH=NTLM" before DIGEST-MD5, Outlook works.
> Quite funny. It's just for the record in case anybody experiences the same
> strange behaviour.

And what happens when you place DIGEST-MD5 first?

> I won't change anything in my installation.
> Outlook users can still use SSL if they don't want their password exposed.

With the latest installments, you should be able to use Kerberos5 as well (GSS-API), since Active Directory uses it as an authentication engine. Maybe *that* will help you sort out M$ sillyness...

Nix.