How to keep sent mails in cyrus

Marcelino Vallejo marcelinov at valan.com.ar
Wed Sep 17 10:18:56 EDT 2003

Hi Oliver:

Assuming you already have created and subscribed a Sent folder under
your INBOX (lets say manually or automatically by means of the
autocreatefolder and autosubscribe patch); you must tell your email
client (if it let do you so) where to save a copy of all sent mail.

By example in Mozilla (wich I use and love) go:
Edit-> Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings -> Your-account -> Copies &
Folders: Section "When sending messages, automatically:"
There you choose Other and navigate through the combos till you find the
desired folder; INBOX/Sent in most of the cases, but you can do whatever
you want.
Same with Draft and Templates folders, in sections below of the same screen.

If you are using Outlook Express; go your account properties
Select IMAP
Fill the Root folder field with: INBOX/
Leave the 2 checkboxes checked (Search new messages in all folders &
Store Special Folders on Imap Server) (I am translating from my Spanish
version Outlook)
Replace the Sent elements field with the word Sent (or the name of your
Sent folder under your INBOX)
Do the same with the Drafts folder, pointing to wahtever you want.

In Outlook 2000 and XP, yopu can not make this adjustments, it only
stores the sent mails locally, so the only way to achieve something
similar is to generate a rule that moves every sent mail to the Sent
folder under Imap, but first go to your account properties an fill the
Root folder field with INBOX/ at the IMAP section (you will notice the
difference between Outlook Express and Outlook 2000 here)

Note that th notattion INBOX/ or INBOX. depends in your imapd settings.

Hope this helps.

Regards