SASL & SQL authentication

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Sep 17 15:56:30 EDT 2003

nkulynych at gotshell.org wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm installing cyrus, sasl with mysql authentication.
> I just fetched fresh copy of sasl and cyrus from cvs server
> and installed it, but when I try to authenticate I get this message
> in the /var/log/messages
> Sep 17 13:47:46 eliz03 imapd[36798]: SQL plugin could not connect to host
> Sep 17 13:47:46 eliz03 imapd[36798]: sql plugin couldn't connect to any host
>
> Looking at the mysql.log I see cyrus is trying to authenticate except it
> gets denied by mysql authentication.
> 29 Connect     Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)
>
> when I try mysql client manyally it work, and database is setup correctly.
>
> my /etc/imapd.conf
> configdirectory: /www/data/spool/cyrus
> partition-default: /www/data/spool/messages
> hashimapspool: true
> sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
> sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
> admins: cyrus
> allowanonymouslogin: no
> allowplaintext: yes
> pwcheck_method: auxprop
> auxprop_plugin: mysql
> sasl_mysql_user: root
> sasl_mysql_passwd: test
> sasl_mysql_hostnames: localhost
> sasl_mysql_database: mail
> sasl_mysql_statement: select password from users where username = '%u'
> sasl_mysql_verbose: true
>
> Em I missing something?

If you're using SASL from CVS, all of your instances of "mysql" should
be replaced by "sql" (the mysql plugin has been merged with some pgsql
code to produce a new generic sql plugin).  For completeness, you should
also add:

sasl_sql_engine: mysql

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127