Cyrus IMAP question.

Denis V. Suhanov den at suhoff.ru
Thu Sep 18 16:45:52 EDT 2003

Hello Andrew,

AM> What you see as the Cyrus admin is a little different that what an IMAP
AM> user sees.  "user.test" is the Inbox folder, but user's access it as
AM> "INBOX".  Unless you have set altnamespace: yes in your imapd.conf file,
AM> you should set your Root Folder Path to "INBOX." (note the period after
AM> INBOX).
I  tried the "INBOX.", but even with the period after INBOX, I receive
the same message in M$ Outlook Express ("your specified Root Folder of
'INBOX'  could  not  neither  be  found nor created..."). With Mozilla
Thunderbird,  I  just  see  nothing  (no error message, no folders, no
messages). So the presence of the period did not change anything.

>> I  am  trying  to manually create an inbox folder for users, something
>> like  'cm  user.test.INBOX'  and  try  to  deliver  one's main to this
>> manually  created  folder.  This is to put all the folder (Sent Items,
>> Drafts  etc) under the same 'user.test' and make it look good. I tried
>> to  find  something  on  the  Net but failed. Is there a way for me to
AM> "user.test" is the INBOX, as seen from the admin viewpoint.  Mail
AM> delivered to user "test" will go into that mailbox.  Subfolders would be
AM> "user.test.subfolder" from the admin viewpoint and "INBOX.subfolder" from
AM> the user viewpoint.

But  in  the  mail  clients, they usually have something like "Inbox",
"Sent Items", "Drafts" etc located under the same root. So by creating
additional  folder named 'Inbox' manually under user's INBOX (which is
user.username),  I  tried to make it work without having user.username
in  my  mail clients (which is not just sort of ugly, but also prevent
the  clients from being able to store appropriate messages on server).
Is is a wrong approach?

Most  likely  it  is  somewhat  stupid I've done, but I really can not
realize what that is. Also, as I mentioned in the previos "cry for
help" message, I am unable to get a pop3 connection. The error message
is

 !18.09.2003, 13:35:06: FETCH - Server reports error. The response is:
 -ERR [SYS/PERM] Unable to open maildrop

that makes me suspect that the problem of invalid (from client's view)
INBOXes is somewhat related to the pop3 as well. I am reallyl confused
now and have no slightest clue what to do further.

here is my imapd.conf:

configdirectory: /var/cyrus/imap
partition-default: /var/cyrus/partition
admins: cyrus
allowanonymouslogin: no
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb
sasl_mech_list: CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
sievedir: /var/cyrus/sieve
tls_ca_file: /var/cyrus/imap/server.pem
tls_cert_file: /var/cyrus/imap/server.pem
tls_key_file: /var/cyrus/imap/server.pem

and cyrusd.conf:

# standard standalone server implementation
START {
  # do not delete this entry!
  recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"

  # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE
  idled         cmd="idled"
}

# UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/cyrus/imap/sockets
SERVICES {
  # add or remove based on preferences
  imap  cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=5
  imaps cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=5
  pop3  cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=5
  pop3s cmd="pop3d -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=5
  # sieve               cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0

  # at least one LMTP is required for delivery
  #  lmtp               cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0
  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/cyrus/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1

  # this is only necessary if using notifications
  #  notify     cmd="notifyd" listen="/var/cyrus/imap/socket/notify" proto="udp"
 prefork=1
}

EVENTS {
  # this is required
  checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30

  # this is only necessary if using duplicate delivery suppression
  delprune      cmd="ctl_deliver -E 3" at=0400

  # this is only necessary if caching TLS sessions
  tlsprune      cmd="tls_prune" at=0400
}

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I am really getting close to give up,
set pop3a back and never use IMAP anymore :)

--
Best regards,
 Denis                            mailto:den at suhoff.ru