Cyrus IMAP question.

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Sep 18 17:11:55 EDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Denis V. Suhanov wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> AM> What you see as the Cyrus admin is a little different that what an IMAP
> AM> user sees.  "user.test" is the Inbox folder, but user's access it as
> AM> "INBOX".  Unless you have set altnamespace: yes in your imapd.conf file,
> AM> you should set your Root Folder Path to "INBOX." (note the period after
> AM> INBOX).
> I  tried the "INBOX.", but even with the period after INBOX, I receive
> the same message in M$ Outlook Express ("your specified Root Folder of
> 'INBOX'  could  not  neither  be  found nor created..."). With Mozilla
> Thunderbird,  I  just  see  nothing  (no error message, no folders, no
> messages). So the presence of the period did not change anything.

I use altnamespace: yes here, so these docs won't work exactly right, but
you might try the documentation we have written for configuring clients to
use Cyrus IMAP:

http://www.onid.orst.edu/docs/email/

Basically, you should just need to add the Root Folder Path setting of
"INBOX." to these instructions.  Also, you *must* refresh the folder
listing in the email client.  Outlook Express does not automatically do
this on an existing account.  For testing purposes at least, I'd delete
all the account settings in the email client and set it up from scratch,
using the instructions above.

> >> I  am  trying  to manually create an inbox folder for users, something
> >> like  'cm  user.test.INBOX'  and  try  to  deliver  one's main to this
> >> manually  created  folder.  This is to put all the folder (Sent Items,
> >> Drafts  etc) under the same 'user.test' and make it look good. I tried
> >> to  find  something  on  the  Net but failed. Is there a way for me to
> AM> "user.test" is the INBOX, as seen from the admin viewpoint.  Mail
> AM> delivered to user "test" will go into that mailbox.  Subfolders would be
> AM> "user.test.subfolder" from the admin viewpoint and "INBOX.subfolder" from
> AM> the user viewpoint.
>
> But  in  the  mail  clients, they usually have something like "Inbox",
> "Sent Items", "Drafts" etc located under the same root. So by creating
> additional  folder named 'Inbox' manually under user's INBOX (which is
> user.username),  I  tried to make it work without having user.username
> in  my  mail clients (which is not just sort of ugly, but also prevent
> the  clients from being able to store appropriate messages on server).
> Is is a wrong approach?

For maximum compatibility and ease of use, I'd recommend setting
altnamespace: yes in imapd.conf.  Otherwise, you *have* to set the Root
Folder Path to "INBOX." to get folders to work.  Read the documentation
for altnamespace before you make this change.  Basically, nothing changes
on the server side (except sieve filters), but you eliminate the needs to
set the Root Folder Prefix on every client.  Most clients will work out of
the box this way (no special settings, just use the New Account Wizards).

> Most  likely  it  is  somewhat  stupid I've done, but I really can not
> realize what that is. Also, as I mentioned in the previos "cry for
> help" message, I am unable to get a pop3 connection. The error message
> is

I don't know much about the pop side of things.  We only run imap here.
I'd start by getting one of your imap clients working to make sure cyrus
is happy, then work on the pop problem.

	Andy