Cyrus to USENET gateway

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Sep 23 19:12:43 EDT 2003

Nils Vogels wrote:
> Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>> Nils Vogels wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm currently looking for some kind of solution, that will allow me
>>> to gateway between Cyrus and USENET.
>>>
>>> Right now I'm using an MLM solution, that fetches certain groups from
>>> a server, drops and drops them in a Cyrus bb, but I'm trying to see
>>> if threre is anything around that will allow me to integrate this
>>> further.
>>>
>>> The things that currently trouble me are:
>>>
>>> 1) I've found the feedcyrus shellscript, but this only seems to work
>>> for an INN install. I do not have the resources to install INN as
>>> well on the mailserver, and I do not want articles to be both in the
>>> INN system, and in the Cyrus system. Would it be possible to use for
>>> instance an slrn-pull setup for this as well ?
>>

>> Cyrus 2.2 has a fully functional NNTP server so you can feed articles
>> directly into Cyrus (or pull them from another server) and have them
>> served via IMAP/POP3 and/or NNTP.
>

> I've been playing with this option, unfortunately all the newsservers I
> have access to will not allow me to use the NEWNEWS command, and thus
> fetchnews fails miserably.
>
> Given the fact that NEWNEWS is rather expensive to run on a full-feed
> newsserver in busy groups, I can imagine more people having issues with
> this restriction.
>
> Would it be possible to have another way get the 'last fed message'
> other than the use of NEWNEWS ? (maybe XOVER, or something?)

This would require maintaining a lot of extra state, andI really don't
want to write a full featured client.  Patches are always welcome.  ;)
Feel free to use some other tool if you find one that works.  Anything
that speaks NNTP or IMAP should work.

Why not just have the newsserver feed directly to Cyrus?  I only wrote
fetchnews because we have our newsfeed sent to a newsserver outside our
firewall and I didn't want to allow outside access to my Cyrus server.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127