Cyrus to USENET gateway

Nils Vogels nivo at yuckfou.org
Thu Sep 25 17:38:56 EDT 2003

[ I don't know if this is still on-topic on the list ]

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Nils Vogels wrote:
>

>> Sep 25 20:52:30 imhotep postfix/lmtp[88837]: 8F88DAB59:
>> to=<usenet+nl.test at cyrus.example.org>,
>> relay=public/lmtp2nntp[public/lmtp2nntp], delay=1, status=deferred
>> (host public/lmtp2nntp[public/lmtp2nntp] said: 451-4.4.2 Requested
>> action aborted for <usenet+nl.test at cyrus.example.org>, local error in
>> processing. 451-4.4.2 destination#0 localhost returned NNTP:
>> transmission deferred 451 4.4.2 destination#0 localhost lastresp ""
>>
>> Local error in processing, has anyone encountered that by any chance
>> ? ;-)
>

> I've never seen this.
>
>> Also, it would be really helpful if I could debug the NNTP session in
>> some way .. nttpd doesn't seem to have the options for that, or am I
>> wrong ?
>

> Just capture the protocol on port 119.

I did, and here's a summary.

 >>> indicates client to server, server is the NNTPd
<<< indicates server to client, client is lmtp2nntp

 >>>  200 cyrus.example.org Cyrus NNTP v2.2.1-BETA server ready, posting
allowed
<<<  IHAVE <3F735D30.7070906 at example.org>
 >>>  335 <3F735D30.7070906 at example.org> Send article
<<<  Message-ID: <3F735D30.7070906 at example.org>
.... entire body of message
.
 >>>  436 <3F735D30.7070906 at example.org> Failed receiving article
(Mailbox does not exist)

Which leads me to believe, the news.nl.test box (which is what im
posting to for testers) does not exist.

However when I check using cyradm:

localhost> lam news
anyone lrsp
localhost> lam news.nl
Mailbox does not exist
localhost> lam news.nl.test
anyone lrsp

would lead me to believe the mailbox does exist.

WFIW: I created the mailbox using the 'cm news.nl.test' command

My relevant imapd.conf entries:

partition-news: /var/spool/imap-news
newsprefix: news
newspostuser: usenet