cyrus-imapd 2.1.15, sieve, lmtpd, and return-path header

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 24 09:22:12 EDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Chris Stromsoe wrote:

> > Yeah, if we were to correct the fact that we forward messages with the
> > Return-path, we'd correct it by skipping the first line of the file when
> > we were writing it back to the MTA, not by writing the initial file
> > without the Return-path header.
>
> I'm fairly certain that rfc2821 allows the initial mta to remove the
> return-path header if it exists, so it is not incorrect to send the entire
> message file when re-injecting the message.

2821 specifies the following:

   A message-originating SMTP system SHOULD NOT send a message that
   already contains a Return-path header.  SMTP servers performing a
   relay function MUST NOT inspect the message data, and especially not
   to the extent needed to determine if Return-path headers are present.
   SMTP servers making final delivery MAY remove Return-path headers
   before adding their own.

Thus, Cyrus is probably in violation of a SHOULD NOT here.  (Though maybe
the sendmail client binaries clean up the message before injecting it into
the protocol).  Certainly, if Cyrus was speaking SMTP directly, it
shouldn't be doing this.

-Rob