Re: can´t compile cyradm

Nikola Milutinovic Nikola.Milutinovic at ev.co.yu
Tue Sep 23 01:21:52 EDT 2003

But i already have the second stone in my way and the name is CYRADM. The problem is that i have installed cyrus-imap into /opt directory, the library are into /opt/lib/sasl2  and the include files are into /opt/include/sasl. Then,  i´km trying to compile cyradm following the documentation and i can´t, the compiled proccess is getting this message.

Note (probably harmless): Not found libsasl2

---

For all of you who install packages into their own directories, under "/opt", here is some advice: *make symbolic links*.

I come from Tru64 UNIX and it inherits on long standing DEC's practice, which can be summarized as follows:

- make a package (SETLD package in my case), determine which files belong in it
- separate files into subsets (these are RPM equivalents), one package can hold N subsets
- for each subset separate files as follows:
+ "/opt/${PKGNAME}" should hold all files needed at startup
   This accounts for startup files, kernel modules, etc...
+ "/usr/opt/${PKGNAME}" should hold all files that do not change during normal operation
   This is the bulk of the package, executables, shared and static libs, header files
   configuration files, documentation, static data files,...
+ "/var/opt/${PKGNAME}" should hold all files that do change during normal operation
   These would be spools, logs, databases, mailboxes,...
- for all files that are expected to be in some defined path, make symbolic links
  This is handled automatically by the subset control helper routines, for all marked files

Now, I know that Linux is built with only one "/opt" directory in mind and I don't think we can change it now. What most packagers end up with, is treating "/opt" as DEC's "/usr/opt" + "/opt", while for "/var/opt/${PKG}" they create links to "/var/<some dir>".

So, create symbolic links. That will make your life substantially easier.

Nix.