fetchmail+sieve: losing mail if cyrus is down

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Sep 24 10:55:59 EDT 2003

cyrus at nitwit.de wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I periodically fetch mail from my ISP via fetchmail and sort it into my IMAP
> box via sieve. For some reason (reiserfs is crap?) it sometimes happens that
> cyrus needs to recover DB and it not available during this time - but
> fetchmail/sieve keep on going their job, of course.
>
> So, it happens that that mail is being lost. I thought there would be some
> buffering queue or somthing but obviously it is not.
>
> 1) Are those mails really lost?
> 2) What can I do about that problem?

If a message can not be delivered by lmtpd because because it has a
problem accessing the mailbox, it should return a temp failure to the
delivering agent (fetchmail).

My guess is that fetchmail is deleting messages from your ISP account
before it knows that it has been successfully delivered to Cyrus.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127