Preserving seen state when converting from mbox

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Thu Sep 25 13:29:30 EDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Etienne Goyer wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:45:13AM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
> > Take a look at the mailutil program in the UW-IMAP distro.
>
> I did.  It does'nt do the job for me.  The mbxcopy command want to
> create the mailbox it copy to, but since INBOX obviously already exist,
> it receive a "Permission denied" error.  Also, it ask for crendential to
> open the connection, which is not something I wish to enter by hand
> considering I have ~7000 to migrate.

You really need to use 'mailutil'.  UW support proxy authentication and
with a very simple patch you can hard code proxy user password for the
conversion purpose.  The command to convert an mbox may look like:

mailutil append /path/to/mbox {new.cyrus.server/user=mbox_cyrus_user/authuser=proxy_user/norsh}INBOX

Make sure that cyrus allows plain mech, you can run this over ssl/tls if
security is important to you.

> The imapxfer command may do the job, but again it won't if I need to
> enter credential for each user (which I don't have access to anyway).  I
> would also prefer to avoid the overhead of configuring/running a second
> imap daemon for the migration.

Why?  You can run cyrus while the conversion is running.

--
Igor