Preserving seen state when converting from mbox

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 25 12:42:42 EDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Etienne Goyer wrote:

> Third and last resort plan is to run both Cyrus imapd and an imap daemon
> that read mbox file (most likely UW-imapd) and programatically copy the
> messages from the old mailstore to Cyrus.  I wish to avoid that path as
> it is the one that require the most work from my part and I feel will
> probably be quite slow due to protocol overhead and so on.

This is typically the recommended path of transition actually.  UW ships
with a "mailutil" tool that allows you to move mailboxes between severs
pretty easily.  (Provided, of course, that UW gets the IMAP seen state
right given your current files).

Note that Cyrus probably uses different format UIDs than qpopper does,
which is a problem that can likely only be solved by modifying cyrus.

-Rob