Murder question : restarting the mupdate master daemon, mailbox list incoherent on frontend

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Fri Sep 26 16:06:35 EDT 2003

Bonjour à tous,

I just noticed something and wonder if there is something I am missing.

I changed altnamespace across a Murder (not yet in production). Modified
/etc/imapd.conf and restart master on frontend, then mupdate and then
backend.

I was playing around in IMP and deleted a few folders.  Then, I tried
recreating a folder I just deleted with the same name.  It complained
that the folder already exist.  I check with cyradm on the backend and
can see that they are really gone.  I then checked on the frontend and,
to my surprise, all the folder I thought I had deleted where still
shown in cyradm!  I restarted cyrus on the frontend, checked again with
cyradm and now they are gone.  I can then recreate my folder correctly.

I guess what happened is that the information the frontend held about
the mailbox list and their location was stale.  I thought that the
mupdate master server would "push" change in folder list back to
frontend but apparently, it's the frontend that "pull" (or at least,
initiate the update) that information instead.  Is that right ?  If yes,
does that imply that when cyrus need restarting across a murder, we
should do backend first, mupdate master second and frontend last ?

Thanks for your insight !

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com