maybe a conceptual mistake...

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Sep 27 10:07:05 EDT 2003

Danny García Hernández wrote:
> Hello, i was reading some of the new feature incorpored into the new
> cyrus-imap-2_2, i´m interested in the nntpd daemon to supporting news  into
> cyrus. Really, i´m so confused and i have a lot of question about it.
>
> 1- I have cyrus-imap-2_2b with  multidomains support and nntp built in, i
> need a INN package to mount many news group inside this domains or i can use
> nntp support in cyrus-imap?.

You don't need a separate news server like INN.  You can just have
articles fed directly to Cyrus.

> 2-"Cyrus has the ability to export Usenet via IMAP and/or export shared IMAP
> mailboxes via NNTP". I don´t undertand this. What Usenet is?.

Usenet, news and netnew are all the same thing.

> 3- Right now, i have two domains (xxx.com & yyy.com),  that i need or want
> is create some newgroups under news.xxx.com and others under news.yyy.com.
> for example.
>
> soft.news.xxx.com is a news group to read (only read) articles about new
> soft technology
> so.news.xxx.com  is a news group to post and read articles about Operating
> System
>
> soft.news.yyy.com is a news group to read (only read) articles about new
> soft technology for users from yyy.com domain.
>
> which will be my newsprefix ?

The newsprefix would have to be the same for all domains, but since the
NNTP support hasn't been tested with virtdomains and probably needs some
work, the point is moot.  In fact, I don't have any good ideas as to how
to have Cyrus receive articles via NNTP and know which virtdomain they
belong in.  I suppose you could do it based on the interface (or virtual
IP address) that the connection comes in on.

> How i can´t avoid users from xxx.com reading news group under yyy.com?
> Password?.

Cross-domain shared folders aren't allowed, so this isn't a problem.

> 4.  What i have to do for give password for each users sharing the same news
> group?

Cross-domain shared folders aren't allowed, so this can't be done.
You'd have to have a newsgroup in each domain and have them fed .

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127