X-Status flag, reconstruct and a suggestion

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Fri Oct 3 23:42:43 EDT 2003

Hello all

As I suggested earlier, it would be nice if "reconstruct" had a
mechanism in which the "X-Status" flag could be parsed and applied so
that the "Read/Replied/Important/..." flags could be kept when doing a
migration from UW-IMAP (or such).

Someone on this list replied that it was a good idea, and a patch could
be warranted for this functionality.  I'd like to ask what the status of
that is, and how I may help.

Secondly, it seems to me that a drawback from cyrus not keeping the
X-Status flags (for efficiency, and I understand this) is that if the
databases are corrupted, the state of a user's mailbox is lost
completely and all mails are re-marked as "unread".

So - would there be any negative impact to adding to Cyrus-IMAP the
ability to mirror the bits in the index database for these status flags
in an X-Status header, for added robustnes (at the potential cost of a
performance hit when viewing e-mail).

Basically, "reconstruct -x" could now rebuild the "entirety" of the
state information for mailbox indexes.

Would this be viable (as a default-off option even)?  Who would I
coordinate with to help in this regard?

Best

Diego
* Diego Rivera                                            *
* "The Disease: Windows, the cure: Linux"                 *
* E-mail: lrivera<AT>racsa<DOT>co<DOT>cr                  *
* Replace: <AT>='@', <DOT>='.'                            *
* GPG: BE59 5469 C696 C80D FF5C  5926 0B36 F8FF DA98 62AD *
* GPG Public Key avaliable at: http://pgp.mit.edu         *