STARTTLS Question

Daniel Whelan merlin at ophelan.com
Tue Oct 7 17:32:28 EDT 2003

--Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> wrote:
> Assuming that you want to prevent plaintext passwords from being
> transmitted in the clear, set the following in imapd.conf:
>
> allowplaintext: no

Whoops, totally missed that. For some reason I believed that this would
kill the PLAIN and LOGIN authentication methods totally. I stand corrected.
This appears to do exactly what I want.

--Rob Siemborski <rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean here?  Do you mean you want your webmail client
> to NOT use STARTTLS and your other clients to be forced to use it?

This wasn't actually my original question, but if I set allowplaintext to
no, my webmail no longer is able to connect (as it wants an unencrypted
connection). So, I'll ask a more complicated question:

Can I selectively allow 127.0.0.1 to connect plaintext? Alternately, can I
allow port X to be plaintext (and limited via tcpwrappers) and have port Y
be no plaintext? Hopefully I'm not being too confusing.

Daniel