Highly available and scalable Cyrus configurations

Ben Carter cecropia+ at pitt.edu
Tue Oct 7 16:58:32 EDT 2003

We currently have a single IMAP server and we are considering two
Solaris 8/9 HA Cyrus configurations:

#1. IMAP Aggregator (murder)
#2. Cyrus on a Veritas cluster (common file system with parallel service
groups)

After looking at the  murder design,  it seems to  me that it's a lot
more complicated than having a Veritas cluster and simply running imapd
and an MTA on each cluster member, because with the murder
configuration, you probably have to end up with a load-balancing switch
in front of murder front-end machines which in turn are in front of the
backend mailstore machines.  mupdate has to be run and mail delivery has
to be directed to the correct machine, etc.  Moreover, with the murder
design, backend machines would have to be clustered anyway (2-node
clusters probably) to eliminate the back-end machines as SPOFs.

With a cluster configuration, all machines would run sendmail and
master/imapd and offer exactly the same service.  A load-balancing
switch is in front of the cluster and any cluster machine can go down
without losing any service.  I can't see any functionality that would be
lost but I'm pretty sure that the cluster solution will be more
expensive even though the expense of buying murder front-end machines
would be eliminated.

So, my first question is: has anyone implemented a Veritas-based Cyrus
service?

And my second question is: is there something I'm missing with regard to
the Veritas cluster being a much simpler configuration to troubleshoot
and operate and a much stronger configuration in terms of availability?

TIA for all input.

Ben Carter
University of Pittsburgh/CSSD
bhc at pitt.edu