lmtp and uppercase email addresses

Avtar Gill av_gill at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 7 21:50:54 EDT 2003

Hi. I've searched this mailing list and come across some posts which
indicate that cyrus 2.2 (I'm running Cyrus-IMAP 2.2.1 with Postfix 2.0.9
on FreeBSD 4.8) is not case sensitive when dealing with user
accounts/email addresses. That doesn't appear to be the case with my
installation. Whenever the server receives an email where the address is
all in uppercase letters I get the following error in my mail log..

host /var/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/imap/socket/lmtp] said: 550-Mailbox
unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this 550-name or
you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 User unknown (in
reply to RCPT TO command)

Mail delivered to the same account gets accepted by cyrus if the address
is in lowercase. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here so I would
appreciate it if someone could point out what I've overlooked. Thanks!

Here are the relevant parts of my imapd.conf file, I can provide the
entire file if necessary..

sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb
sasldb_path: /usr/local/etc/sasldb2
username_tolower: yes

# /usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver -l
220 mail.tdneti.com LMTP Cyrus v2.2.1-BETA ready
mail from:<root at localhost>
250 2.1.0 ok
rcpt to:<AGILL at TDNETI.COM>
550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
550 5.1.1 User unknown

# /usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver -l
220 mail.tdneti.com LMTP Cyrus v2.2.1-BETA ready
mail from:<root at localhost>
250 2.1.0 ok
rcpt to:<agill at tdneti.com>
250 2.1.5 ok