Using email address as login name

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Sat Oct 18 19:26:12 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:35:16AM -0500, James A. Pattie wrote:
> Paul Kreiner wrote:
> | If you want your username to contain an '@' sign, you need to patch SASL to
> | make this work, otherwise you'll get '(-13) NO User does not exist' errors or
> | something (forget the message off the top of my head).  This is because SASL
> | internally uses the '@' character to delimit the SASL realm from the
> | username, which messes up your authentication scheme.
>
> Where would I get this patch for SASL?   This was the problem I was encountering
> and reported last month and no-one mentioned having to patch SASL!

Umm.. You don't.  I don't know why Kreiner is making budy work for himself,
but there's no reason to patch SASL to support double @ signs.  Simply make
the domain part of the e-mail address be the realm in your authentication
method of choice.

This is painfully easily ;-) in LDAP and MySQL configurations. I believe
you can handle this in sasldb as well with sasl2/program.conf options.

--
Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett at Isite.Net                                      Isite Services, Inc.