-ERR [SYS/PERM] unable to open maildrop

Nikola Milutinovic Nikola.Milutinovic at ev.co.yu
Fri Oct 17 01:27:24 EDT 2003

This is all I get when I try to connect to my Cyrus POP3..

It all appeared after I had a mailbox.db error, which I apparently got cuered by running ctl_cyrusdb (I think), but now it keeps rejecting the passwords for every account on the system...

What've gone wrong, and how do I solve the problem??

---

Things you can do:

1. check if all files being accessed are allowing user "cyrus" appropriate access.

This means all config, mailbox and authentication files (SASL). It might be tough to nail them all down.

2. investigate your logs, see if they are setup at all.

My Cyrus is compiled to use syslog facility "local6" and my syslogd sends that to /var/adm/syslog.dated/<date>/imap.log (this is Tru64 UNIX). You should track down your setup.

3. trace system calls of Cyrus to see where it's failing.

This is the most comprehensive method, using "trace" (Tru64), "truss" (Solaris) or "strace" (Linux) to get all the system calls of the process. This tends to print out HUGE amount of data, so I'd run it in a "VERY test" environment - just one client, one attempt. But it will pinpoint the problem (God knows it saved my neck a couple of times).

Nix.