virtual domain and postfix problem

Avtar Gill av_gill at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 17 12:13:21 EDT 2003

Murat Ergur wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using cyrus-imapd-2.2.1-BETA with postfix 2.0.16. My problem is
> postfix cannot deliver incoming mails to cyrus virtual domain mail
> folder. It's complaining with "user unknown in virtual alias table".
>
> My settings are below:
> /etc/imapd.conf
> virtdomains: yes
> defaultdomain: mail.bar.org
>
> /etc/postfix/main.cf
> mydomain = bar.org
> myhostname = mail.bar.org
> myorigin and mydestination not defined
> local_recipient_maps =
> virtual_alias_domains = /etc/postfix/domains
> virtual_alias_maps = /etc/postfix/users
> mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp
>
> /etc/postfix/domains
> foo.org anything
>
> The problem is what should I write in RHS of virtual_alias_maps file.
> Whatever I write, it gives the same error (user unknown in virtual alias
> table). However when I check it with "postmap -q", the database seems
> OK. What I understand from this is I have to find a way to pass both
> username and domain part of e-mail to the postfix.

Let's assume you have a cyrus user (part of a virtual domain) called
"user1 at foo.org". Remove virtual_alias_domains and virtual_alias_maps
from your main.cf file and add these lines instead..

transport_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/transport
relay_domains = foo.org
relay_recipient_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/relay_recipients

Then add your information in this format to the above mentioned files..

For /usr/local/etc/postfix/transport
foo.org		lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp

For /usr/local/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
user1 at foo.org		accept