Slightly off-topic question but very useful one

tallison at tacocat.net tallison at tacocat.net
Fri Oct 24 11:44:04 EDT 2003

> Jim Howell wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>         I apologize for this off-topic question but I think we will all
>> find this useful.  What mailfile size limits do folks support and the
>> user mailbox quota size?  We are being told by some of our users that we
>> are too restrictive.  Here at Cornell we allow 15MB mailfiles from 8am
>> to 6pm and 100MB mailfiles from 6pm to 8am.
>
> Wow!  If you have users complaining about 15MB, let alone 100MB, you
> probably need to teach them that email isn't a file transfer protocol
> ;)  If somebody needs to send a file that large, they should be emailing
> the link, and not the file.

I'm going to chime in here as a "joe user".

Most IT environments do not provide a "File Transfer Protocol" to the
users which might be appropriate for transfer of data between departments,
buildings, organizations, or even companies/universities...

If you first solve that problem, then you might be able to address this
(secondary) problem of people using SMTP instead of FTP.

As a not-so joe user...

You might consider a process whereby all attachments are stripped off the
email and dumped to a directory structure for that end recipient.  Now you
can establish two quotas (mailbox/mailfize and directory/disk) to strike a
balance between email and files.