Slightly off-topic question but very useful one

Joakim Ryden jryden at thebox.our-own.net
Fri Oct 24 12:05:47 EDT 2003

On Friday 24 October 2003 08:44 am, tallison at tacocat.net wrote:
> > Jim Howell wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>         I apologize for this off-topic question but I think we will all
> >> find this useful.  What mailfile size limits do folks support and the
> >> user mailbox quota size?  We are being told by some of our users that we
> >> are too restrictive.  Here at Cornell we allow 15MB mailfiles from 8am
> >> to 6pm and 100MB mailfiles from 6pm to 8am.
> >
> > Wow!  If you have users complaining about 15MB, let alone 100MB, you
> > probably need to teach them that email isn't a file transfer protocol
> > ;)  If somebody needs to send a file that large, they should be emailing
> > the link, and not the file.
>
> I'm going to chime in here as a "joe user".
>
> Most IT environments do not provide a "File Transfer Protocol" to the
> users which might be appropriate for transfer of data between departments,
> buildings, organizations, or even companies/universities...
>
> If you first solve that problem, then you might be able to address this
> (secondary) problem of people using SMTP instead of FTP.
>
> As a not-so joe user...

I'm gonna chime in under this heading too.... As an administrator I find that
oftentimes there *is* a method in place for this sort of thing but it just
doesn't seem to come to mind to the user until I grab the user's hand and
guide his mouse movements to the big shiny SMB share icons on his desktop...

--Jo