Two little questions

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Mon Oct 27 15:26:35 EST 2003

Thanks Ken for your helpful answer.

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 12:00:49PM -0500, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Etienne Goyer wrote:
> > 2. Apparently, we hit a bug where Oulook 2k2 seem to get confused with
> > Cyrus's UIDL using POP.  My understanding of the problem is only partial
> > has I was not the one isolating it, but the way it have been explained
> > to me is that Outlook 2002 get confused when UIDL are not the same
> > length (ie a mailbox contain a message with UIDL 1066419166.1 and one
> > with UIDL 1066419166.10).  A way to work around the bug temporarily that
> > had been proposed is to make the message UID of a mailbox start at a very
> > high value (ie 100 000).  Is there a way within Cyrus to make message
> > UID start at a specified value, either globally or a on per-mailbox
> > basis ?  I don't think it is possible, but assuming yes, what would be
> > involved in renumbering existing messages ?
>
> Is it truely the fact that they don't have the same length, or that the
> UIDL is too long for Outlook?  In either case Outlook is broken and you
> should complain to M$.  Tell them to reread RFC 1939 (assuming the read
> it at all).

I heartily agree with you on that point.  However, in the short term,
this would not solve my problem.  The problem had been reported to the
Windows support team of my client, and they might do a follow-up with
MS.  In the meantime, the problem will be fixed by migrating Outlook 2k2
users that need the POP "leave mail on server" feature to IMAP (the
Right Thing anyway).

I would be curious to hear about other people's experience in this
regard.  Does anybody use Cyrus with Outlook 2k2 + POP + "leave mail on
server" ?

Thanks again.

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com