AW: 3 kb mail from windows mail client mutate to 21 kb in imap mailbox

Patrick Morris pmorris at wilshire.com
Wed Oct 29 18:00:58 EST 2003

Again, this has nothing to do with IMAP, but with the way mail clients
encode attachments.  The encoding process makes them bigger, and happens
before the message ever touches an IMAP server.

Attachments encoding using methods like Base64 or UUencoding are
typically much larger than the original files, and there's nothing
unusual about .  It's just the way e-mail works.

If you're concerned about the files being as big as they are, you really
need to look at where it's happening: on the client, not on the server.