Outlook 2002 and "closed connection" errors

Doug Koobs dkoobs at fcsservices.com
Thu Oct 30 10:26:54 EST 2003

Occasionally on Outlook 2000 and 2002 clients, I'm getting messages that the
IMAP server has closed the connection. I'm using cyrus-imapd-2.1.15-1
(installed from Simon's RPM)

I've done lots of searching, and it looks like many people have had this
problem. However, there doesn't seem to be any resolution (other than not
using MS products). My understanding is that Outlook tries to open multiple
connections to the IMAP server, which goes against the RFC standard. I was
able to find a patch against UW that somehow suppresses the error message,
but nothing for Cyrus.

Is there anyway to fix this? I hope to fix this before Monday, that's when
the server goes live. I'll do a network sniff and see if I can capture some
useful info...

Doug Koobs
Computer Analyst
Financial Credit Services