improved popminpoll handling

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Fri Oct 31 05:25:52 EST 2003

Hi,

--On Donnerstag, 30. Oktober 2003 18:29 Uhr +0000 Phil Chambers
<P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk> wrote:

> On my old UW POP server I added a patch to limit the polling frequency.

I'd be interested in having that patch - could I ask you to send it to me
or point me to a URL?

> Rather than  just apply a fixed minimum time interval I made it give some
> flexibility.  The patch  allows users to do a few checks in quick
> succession but would fail if the longer  term rate was too high.  This is
> something which our POP users found to be a major  improvement.

> My patch involves making imap/mailbox.c pack and unpack the new variable
> with  "minor_version" in mailbox_write_index_header() and
> mailbox_read_index_header().   Also, to add a function which does the
> checking to imap/pop3d.c, which is called  from openinbox() where
> openinbox() normally compares the elapsed time with  pipminpoll.
>
> If there is sufficient interest, perhaps the cyrus team might consider
> rolling it  in.

To me that sounds like a great improvement. Our main server is still
running UW and I know how much trouble POP sessions are there. On the other
hand it has been said on this list that limiting POP session isn't as
necessary under Cyrus as it is under UW imapd with mbox - have you actually
noticed problems with too much polling?

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK